REDSKIN POTATO SALAD with BACON and LEEKS
(from Famie’s Adventures in Cooking)
1 ½ lbs small redskin potatoes
½ lb bacon, diced small
½ cup plus 2 Tbles olive oil
1 leek (white part only), rinsed thoroughly, finely chopped
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
3 tsp whole grain mustard
3 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the potatoes in a large stockpot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook the potatoes about 20 minutes or until they are tender. Remove from heat, let cool, and cut the potatoes into quarters. Set aside.
2. Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan until crispy. Drain on paper toweling.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 Tbles of olive oil. Add the leeks and sauté until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add cooked bacon to the leeks.
4. In a large bowl, combine the quartered potatoes, bacon-leek mixture and fresh dill. Toss gently to combine.
5. In a blender, combine the cider vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar. With the blender on, slowly add the remaining ½ cup olive oil in a steady stream to combine well.
6. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.